The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough [Audiobook] [Unabridged] From two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author David McCullough comes the inspiring, enthralling—and until now, untold—story of the American painters, writers, sculptors, and doctors who journeyed to Paris between 1830 and 1900, ambitious to excel in their work, fell in love with the city, and changed America with what they achieved. After risking the hazardous journey across the Atlantic, these Americans embarked on a greater journey in the City of Light. That they achieved so much for themselves and their country profoundly altered American history. As David McCullough writes, “Not all pioneers went west.” Elizabeth Blackwell, the first female doctor in America, was one of this intrepid band. Another was Charles Sumner, who enrolled at the Sorbonne because of a burning desire to know more about everything. There he saw black students with the same ambition he had, and when he returned home, he would become the most powerful, unyielding voice for abolition in the U.S. Senate, almost at the cost of his life. Writers Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, and Henry James were all “discovering” Paris, marveling at the treasures in the Louvre, or out with the Sunday throngs strolling the city’s boulevards and gardens. “At last I have come into a dreamland,” wrote Harriet Beecher Stowe, seeking escape from the notoriety Uncle Tom’s Cabin had brought her. Sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens and painters Mary Cassatt and John Singer Sargent, three great American artists, flourished in Paris, inspired by French masters and the city itself. McCullough tells this sweeping, fascinating story with power and intimacy, bringing us into the lives of remarkable men and women. The Greater Journey is itself a masterpiece.List Price: $49.99Approx 17 Hours16 CDsPublisher: Simon & Schuster Audio; Unabridged edition (May 24, 2011)Language: EnglishISBN-10: 1442344180ISBN-13: 978-1442344181 About Our Products: Our CD sets are publishers overstocks and unless noted are still in shrink wrap. Most will have a remainder (Scratch or Black Pen) mark on exterior packaging. Some items will have minor exterior wear from being handled.
- Restocking Fee: No
- All returns accepted: Returns Accepted
- Item must be returned within: 30 Days
- Refund will be given as: Money back or exchange (buyer's choice)
- Return shipping will be paid by: Buyer
- Return policy details: desertoutlets Return Policy We GUARANTEE your satisfaction on every individual product we sell with a full refund or replacement, whichever you prefer. If you receive an item that is defective or unlike what we described it and want to return it for a refund or replacement please contact us within 30 days of purchase date (60 days if purchased in November or December) & we'll gladly provide a refund, credit, or exchange (If available) for the cost of the product. We do not provide a refund on shipping charges unless the item is being returned because of a manufacturers defect or due to damage caused during shipping.
- Format: CD
- ISBN: 9781442344181